Thursday, April 30, 2009

Beasties Stay Out

The feral cats of Kettletown Woods Road are on the move this Spring, but they won't be taking up residence under the CanDunker. Nor will any of the skunks, opossums, raccoons, woodchucks, foxes, coyotes, rabbits, bobcats, unicorns or dragons that call our neighborhood home. I attached hardware cloth (think really heavy duty screening) all around the base of the shed and buried it 4-6" below ground. To pretty it up, I installed lattice over the top of the hardware cloth and burried it to the same depth. Now unless the neighborhood beasties plan to do the Great Escape in reverse I'm hoping the space under the shed remains vacant.

I've already seen a couple of cats nosing around. When they notice the screening and see me watching them, they just give a hurt look and walk away. That's right. Move it along, Garfield. No vacancy.

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Shed4Ed goes International

The Shed4Ed has been listed on the WeLoveSheds website out of the UK. While not as swanky as some of the sheds featured, the CanDunker did make the cut. The first step in total domination of shed related media.

Monday, March 30, 2009

It's What's Inside That Counts

It's amazing how much you can fit into a small space when you really put some thought into the layout. After finding spots for the snow-thrower, leaf blower, lawn mower, wheelbarrow and assorted lawn and garden tools, I still had some room left over to put the bar. What I like best is that there is a clear view from behind the bar of the flat screen TV. I'm still trying to find just the right spot for the jukebox and dartboard and the surround sound still needs to be adjusted, but all in all, I think judging from the attached picture, it turned out pretty nice.

I know there was a lot of talk during construction about installing a stripper pole. But with the current political climate on guest workers, it was going to be difficult to get the H1B visas approved and the zoning commission wasn't keen on granting a variance for all of the neon. I think it was for the best, though. All of that chrome would have clashed with the Old World charm of the rich mahogany woodwork. For those who are disappointed, I'll pour you pint when you come to visit.

Friday, March 27, 2009

Moving In Day

With the warmer weather, I've begun to re-focus my energies on the shed. I spent some time using the car jack to lift up the shed at each spot where it is setting on a concrete block. With the shed lifted, I slid each block completely under and flush with the rim joists. Moving the foundation blocks will now allow me to wrap screening and lattice work around the bottom of the shed to keep out the beasties.

The snowthrower, leaf blower, lawn mower and assorted other things that were packing the garage have been safely settled in the shed. It was a little surprising how quickly it filled up. Maybe I'll look into adding an addition to the shed.

Monday, December 8, 2008

Topping Out

So apparently I have not alienated all of the neighbors with my Shed4Ed construction project. A couple of nights ago, just after dinner while I was trying to wrangle the girls into getting ready for bed, I was surprised by a rapping on the sliding door to the deck. Thinking the neighbors had finally organized a posse to bring me in, I jumped 3 feet in the air, just about pissed my pants and let out a startled yell. (More like a high pitched scream if you ask Alex). It was our neighbor Mike bearing not arms, but a 3 foot cedar tree. After I stopped hyperventilating and he stopped laughing, Mike explained that had brought the tree over to help "top out" the shed.

I know that technically it's supposed to go on top of the structure, but it was too late, dark and cold to dig out the ladder and rig up the tree on the roof. I also figured just pitching it up onto the roof would be in poor taste. So in a quick, impromptu ceremony I laid the tree up against the shed for luck. Maybe I should have invited all the other neighbors, too.

Monday, December 1, 2008

Light at the end of the tunnel

Lots of good progress this weekend. I got all of the latch and locking mechanism installed on the doors. No more propping it closed with a couple of cinder blocks. And while initially I was planning on waiting until the spring to install the window, in a fit of productivity, I decided to take the circular saw to the front of the shed. Four quick cuts and a handful of screws later, the window was in place. Now I'm saving up my energy for the final pieces that will bring it all together.... the WINDOW BOX and SHUTTERS.

When a hammer meets a thumb...

...the safe money is on the hammer. While nailing up the trim around the window I caught the tip of my thumb with the hammer. I think I was distracted by the glares I was getting from the neighbors. Neither really bothered me, so I just kept on working. It wasn't until I felt something wet on my wrist that I thought to look at my thumb again. Yikes! Not to be deterred, I finished the window.

It all ended well as the girls took great care to get just the right band-aid for my owie. And I think the neighborhood punks are going to think twice about breaking in to the shed once they notice the bloody fingerprints and splatters on the window trim.